Friday, March 17, 2006

Scientist or a Poet


Today in Isha Yoga Class we were discussing about “Miracles”. This thought was fascinating to me and thought would make a good topic to blog.

Life can be viewed and experienced broadly in two ways - a person seeks logical explanation for every atom that moves, gets convinced with a scientific answer and thus for him nothing is a miracle. Everything sits, stands, moves and withers away based on a law/theory. The way the world functions is by itself a science. There is nothing that happens that he perceives of which does not have a scientific reasoning or explanation. Nothing is a MIRACLE.

The other one is the poet - according to him EVERYTHING is a miracle. A beautiful fresh flower blooming in the garden, the early morning sun, a baby’s heart throbbing in the mother’s womb, a tiny seed transforming itself into a tree, anything and everything that god created is a miracle and romanticizes it.

When I was reflecting on these thoughts today I realized every human being is a mixture of both. Sometime the scientist in us is dominating putting forth questions, asking for logical reasoning otherwise we would have never had so many inventions, discoveries, life saving drugs, etc., When the poet in us dominates we experience the world instead of just questioning and seeking answers…we enjoy the beach view, fall in love with a baby’s smile and do things that bring us joy. What will be the world without poetry and romance, just a warehouse of robots…isn’t it?
Let the thought flow…let me know your musings…

3 comments:

Archana said...

I think I am a mix of both. But being a Piscean I think I tend more towards being the poet. But then again, of course, it depends on my mood. I can give logical, "scientific" explanations about any possible thing. But then I can get all nostalgic and misty-eyed when looking at a rainbow. In short, I think I am a confused mess :-O.

Now, this really wasn't what you were expecting, were you ;-)?

Shilpa said...

Hmmm....I guess there are 4 kinds of ppl
a) scientists
b) poets
c) mixture of both
d) none of the above

and I am (c)

I think most of us are depending on the situation.

Prasanna said...

Tetra,

Don't tell me you don't even have the time to be joyful looking at a child's smile.

Archana,
All of us Pisceans are that way....we definitely do have a slightly stronger flavor of a poet in us. Of course, I can expect this of a true Piscean :)

Shilpa,
I guess there can be more combinations like this. Just like having four basic colors and combining them to have different shades...